Sunday, November 16, 2008

Have a Nice Day

What ever idealized and zealous notions I held about my possible eating habits were shattered the same day I started this blog. I originally had planned on eating at home, in San Diego. 
Upon arriving at the train station in Irvine, my train was delayed one hour. So, after a ten mile ride to the station, I was dismayed at the idea of waiting another two hours before eating. I ended up eating stagnant Chow Mein and fried rice that had spent all day under heat lamps. The food tasted good - but beneath the shiny
 uniform layer of grease on my noodles, the styrofoam smiling face on my to-go box wouldn't stop mocking my hypocrisy. The meal cost $5. It wasn't healthy, it wasn't sustainable (styrofoam), and it was a lot more expensive than it needed to be.

My dinner was a humbling reminder that circumstance often obstructs eating habits. Hopefully, with practice and forsight, I'll avoid heat lamps in the future.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been traveling a lot the last month. It can get more than disheartening at times when either you're constrained by overpriced airport food or you're required by the United States of America to leave a dozen beautiful Italian tangerines at Customs when you planned on eating them on your layover time.

Advice? Always have something to eat with you, either

1) something you've prepared before (make some extra of the meal before you have to leave for long travels; and/or

2) hand snacks - nuts, fruit (domestic travels), raw vegetables, bread, crackers, cheese, etc.

Just make sure to spend the extra 30-seconds or minute to prep. Your stomach, body, and mind will thank you later.